Sunday, July 23, 2006
TL,D - novella version
I was finally able to get some time to relax this weekend and read the novella version of "Through Love, Darkly" from the May 1952 issue of STRIKING Science-Fiction Stories. Boy, it's different than the revised full-length novel! Or should I say rewritten novel. It's barely recognizable as the same story, although the character names are the same, as is the alien civilization. I have to say, it didn't do much for me, and I can certainly see that Bellman's craft had improved by the time the novel came out in 1961. But it was ahead of its time, and there was a word in there that I'm surprised made it to print back in those days. Anyway, I won't spoil it for you, although I do hope to post some synopses of Bellman stories on this blog in the future, if I ever get around to it. I'll also try to get a better scan of the mag up at some point. The one I had posted before was the one I snagged from the seller's listing. But for now, back to work.
No comments:
Post a Comment